Sunday, June 3, 2012

DXC - Summer Introduction

Darts - 
Welcome to Davis Cross Country (DXC). I hope that you are as excited as I am about the upcoming summer full of some strong, challenging training and about the cross country season this fall - which is going to be our greatest ever. I was happy to see so many new faces at our meeting this past week; the room was packed. I am always interested in seeing who will be the ones to catch fire and really surprise me with their summer training and their fall racing. Last year we had huge surprises and improvements from Ashley Tyndall, Kami Dixon, Chelsey Johnson, Andrew Tyndall, Alex Hedquist and a number of others. Who is it going to be this year?

We have 12 weeks of summer in front of us. In the meeting I asked that you set a goal about how much you will be able to run this summer. In general, I challenged the boys to go after 500 miles (42 miles per week) and the girls to go for 400 (34 miles per week). Some of the experienced boys will be higher than 500 and some of the new boys will be lower than that number. Each of you should find a number that you feel will challenge you and that you will have to work for. I would also set other goals - like not sleeping in through an organized TEAM practice, not having any days with '0' (other than some that might be necessary due to commitments or vacations), doing abs or strength work on a regular basis, taking care of your body so that you can handle the hard training, staying positive and motivated through the middle months of the summer, etc. For the most part, I want you all to stick with it - to give your all and to prove your toughness.

I have attached the handout that I gave at the introduction meeting. It has some important information on their about our training and philosophies. It also has a general schedule to follow for the first 3 1/2 weeks. With each day on the schedule, it lists 3 options - the top mileage is for those of you who have been running with us for some time, the middle option is for those of you who might be new to the team but have some running experience, and the bottom level is for those of you who are new to running. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Email communication is always very important during the summer. Please read the emails as I will assume that all of you know the information I am sending out. Each of you are also REQUIRED to email me at the end of each week letting me know what you did for your training. Try to be detailed (without writing a novel) - let me know how far you ran, where you ran, how long it took you, how you felt, and any questions you might have - ctalley@dsdmail.net  

This week - 
Monday - meet at the Vita Course at 7:00am. We will meet at the Vita Course every Monday all summer long. It is located at the top of 200 N. above Highway 89 - by the rifle range and the animal shelter. We will be running 4-8 miles on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. Be there!
Tuesday - Wednesday - run on your own or in groups
Thursday - Meet at Davis at 7:00am for a TEAM run
Friday - Saturday - on your own
*email me your mileage and your workouts on Saturday or Sunday. 

Have fun with your training. Keep in mind that not every day will be easy or feel good. There will be ups and downs - and that is what makes it worth it. Be patient with yourself and realize that improvement will come with time and effort. As I said in the meeting, I hope that each of you will get something valuable from this summer and next season (not just become faster runners). I look forward to getting to know each of you a little better and I look forward to running with you this summer - 
Coach Talley

ps. If there are any of you who have already decided that cross country is not for you, please email me and let me know, and I will remove you from the email list. Thanks.

"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible." - Saint Francis of Assisi

No comments: