Saturday, June 30, 2012

DXC Summer Update - June 30

Darts - 
We are 1/3 of the way through our summer training. Ashlyn (my 6 year-old) just pointed out how quickly June went by. She is right - time is moving, and it is time that we will never get back. Some of you have had incredible starts to the summer, some of you haven't really had the start we were looking for (with running), and most of you are somewhere in between. If you have had a rough start - there is still time to turn your summer training around. 
At about this point in the summer, it gets a little harder to stay motivated and to stay passionate about running. I think the middle weeks of the summer are the hardest. It can be challenging, especially for those of you who are new to running, to see that there will be benefits from all of the work that we are putting in during the summer. It is getting hotter, many of you are very busy with other things, and running might not be your main priority. I challenge you to find ways to stay motivated and to stay consistent through the tough middle months. It is work, and it can be painful and uncomfortable, but it will pay off this fall. You are going to be one tough TEAM, with a lot of endurance, strength, guts, and speed. And whether you are a returner on this TEAM or a brand new member of the TEAM, you better know that I expect big things from each of you (no matter how fast you are). 
Here are a few tips to help you out with motivation:
1) Run in the morning. It is cooler, and it is much easier to motivate yourselves than when it gets to be the afternoon. Plus then you won't stress about it later in the day. 
2) Set some goals - an overall summer mileage goal (if you don't already have one), weekly mileage goals, season goals - and write them down and keep them in a place where you can see them on a daily basis. Don't be afraid to dream big - and always try to make a plan about how you are going to get there.
3) Don't be discouraged right now if you are not as fast as you would like to be someday. Realize that it is going to take time and consistency to be your best. 
4) Get online and watch race videos. Search youtube for "inspirational running videos" (example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7A_QUlMbvY). Go to flotrack.org and watch some of their race videos. Go to letsrun.com and read articles about running and about runners. It always seems to help me to want to push myself harder when I learn about other runners who have worked hard for their success. You can also find quotes about running that can help to motivate you - the girls have been posting the quotes on their facebook page - It's cute (and motivational). One of my favorites so far - 
“Running isn't a sport for pretty boys...It's about the sweat in your hair and the blisters on your feet. Its the frozen spit on your chin and the nausea in your gut. It's about throbbing calves and cramps at midnight that are strong enough to wake the dead. It's about getting out the door and running when the rest of the world is only dreaming about having the passion that you need to live each and every day with. It's about being on a lonely road and running like a champion even when there's not a single soul in sight to cheer you on. Running is all about having the desire to train and persevere until every fiber in your legs, mind, and heart is turned to steel. And when you've finally forged hard enough, you will have become the best runner you can be. And that's all that you can ask for.”  
5) Switch things up. Have some easy running days, run different courses, run with music, run at night (watch out for the shadow people) - maybe run in groups at night, and find ways to make your running an adventure and unique and challenging. I know many of you struggle to run on vacation, but running in a new place is one of my favorite things to do (as long as it is safe and your family is okay with it - best with a partner of course).
6) Help each other out. Be positive and encouraging with your TEAMmates, attend the TEAM practices, make running fun!
7) Most of all - refuse to quit. Don't let yourself think about it. Don't let yourself down. I said it at the start of the summer, and I will say it again now - only the strong will survive. Be strong - you won't regret it.

Assignment - (we did this last year) I would also like each of you to tell me something in your training logs next week about your own running that makes you proud - some type of accomplishment or personal victory that you have had in your first 4-5 weeks of the summer. I hope you realize that we are working together - that we are hurting together - and sacrificing together in order to be a stronger TEAM. I know that I don't "count" as far as my own fitness and my own racing goes (I won't be able to race with you) - but it still motivates me to know that I have a TEAM that is working hard right along with me - that I am not the only one who is sacrificing and pushing myself to become better.

High Altitude Camp - By Friday next week, I will have the initial list of those who are invited to attend cross country camp. The camp is from July 30-August 3 (refer to last week's email attachment for more information). I have had some parents volunteer to be chaperones - if any other parents would like to be considered, please let me know. We won't be able to have all of the parents who have volunteered come up, so we will also be letting you know which parents will be our official chaperones. I really appreciate so many of you being willing to give of your time and talents.

I found this in one of last year's emails (from Janae):
Shin Splints - many of you have had questions about shin splints - Janae has the following answers. . .
Hello all,
I've noticed as I've been reading through your mileage report emails that several of you are complaining of shin splints. Some of the aches and pains that many of you are feeling are a part of your body getting used to the running. However, it is important that we take care of these aches and pains before they turn into more serious issues. Here is an article that my husband Ken wrote that provides some great tips to help you overcome shin splints. http://blog.utahrunning.com/shin-splints-secrets/
--Janae


This Week - 
Monday - Vita Course - 7:00am. We are going to start running no later than 7:10 - so be on time. 
Wednesday - Kaysville 4th of July 5k/10k (as well as other road races throughout the country). Good luck if you have decided to race (which I think you should). 
Friday - Meet at DAVIS HIGH at 7:00am. I will bring the popsicles. 

Next Week's Email Topic: Nutrition

My emails keep getting longer.
Run Happy!
Send me your miles :)
Coach Talley

No comments: