Monday, July 1, 2013

DXC Update - Week 4

Darts,
I am writing from Virginia. Things are going well - I am having a good time with my family, and the running here has been nice - it makes me very grateful that we don't live in a humid climate. I know that it has been very HOT in Utah the past few days, and I hope that you are finding some ways to get your running done during the cooler parts of the day.
I don't have much time today, so I am copying another email that I really liked last year. The topic is motivation. I think about it a lot every summer. Your personal motivation is what will make or break you as a runner - especially during the off-season. By the end of the summer, I want to have a group of tough, fit, disciplined runners who are ready to do their best at pushing themselves and their teammates through our workouts and our races. I really like what I have seen so far this summer, but we are barely 1/3 of the way through, and now we hit the middle part of the summer where it is really going to take some determination and personal interest/motivation in what you are trying to accomplish. I hope by the end of the summer that each of you have learned to take responsibility and ownership over your progress and success as a runner. I also hope that each of you are starting to feel like you are a part of a TEAM - and that it is important to work hard for your TEAM as well as for yourself. Running for your TEAM will help you to make the sacrifices you need to when running gets difficult or challenging.

Here are a few tips to help you out with motivation:
1) Run in the morning. It is cooler, and it is much easier to motivate yourselves than when it gets to be the afternoon. Plus then you won't stress about it later in the day.
2) Set some goals - an overall summer mileage goal (if you don't already have one), weekly mileage goals, season goals - and write them down and keep them in a place where you can see them on a daily basis. Don't be afraid to dream big - and always try to make a plan about how you are going to get there.
3) Don't be discouraged right now if you are not as fast as you would like to be someday. Realize that it is going to take time and consistency to be your best.
4) Get online and watch race videos. Search youtube for "inspirational running videos" (example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7A_QUlMbvY). Go to flotrack.org and watch some of their race videos. Go to letsrun.com and read articles about running and about runners. It always seems to help me to want to push myself harder when I learn about other runners who have worked hard for their success. You can also find quotes about running that can help to motivate you. One of my favorite running quotes -
“Running isn't a sport for pretty boys...It's about the sweat in your hair and the blisters on your feet. Its the frozen spit on your chin and the nausea in your gut. It's about throbbing calves and cramps at midnight that are strong enough to wake the dead. It's about getting out the door and running when the rest of the world is only dreaming about having the passion that you need to live each and every day with. It's about being on a lonely road and running like a champion even when there's not a single soul in sight to cheer you on. Running is all about having the desire to train and persevere until every fiber in your legs, mind, and heart is turned to steel. And when you've finally forged hard enough, you will have become the best runner you can be. And that's all that you can ask for.”
5) Switch things up. Have some easy running days, run different courses, run with music, run at night - maybe run in groups at night, and find ways to make your running an adventure and unique and challenging. I know many of you struggle to run on vacation, but running in a new place is one of my favorite things to do (as long as it is safe and your family is okay with it - best with a partner of course).
6) Help each other out. Be positive and encouraging with your TEAMmates, attend the TEAM practices, make running fun!
7) Most of all - refuse to quit. Don't let yourself think about it. Don't let yourself down. I said it at the start of the summer, and I will say it again now - only the strong will survive. Be strong - you won't regret it.

Coming Up:
Monday - Vita Course at 7:00am -
Tuesday - Meet at Layton Park at 7:00am - directly across the street to the west from the Layton track. We are going to be doing a few mile repeats (nothing too hard). I will be back in town and I expect to see you ALL there.
Thursday - Kaysville 4th of July Race (optional). There is both a 5k and a 10k - you can still register on www.runnercard.com

Don't forget to send in your miles. I will be sending out the camp invite list on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Thanks
Coach Talley

No comments: