Sunday, July 11, 2010

Darts -
I have a bit of sad news for you. I am not sure if you have figured it out on your own or not, but of our 12 week summer training program, 6 of them are already gone. That means we have just 6 more weeks of summer. 6 more weeks until you are back in school. 6 more weeks of focusing on the summer mileage. The good news is that in just 6 short weeks we will be beginning our cross country season. The important thing for the final 6 weeks is to make each week count as much as you can. I cannot think of a first half of a summer that has gone as well as this summer has. Our mileage is looking strong, and the TEAM is doing a lot to stay fit and stay focused. I am still enjoying your emails and your accounts of your summer training. I hope that you are learning a lot about running and a lot about yourselves. Keep up the good work - let's finish this summer as strong as we started it and let's be ready for the xc season.

Thanks a ton to the Frodshams for letting us have a barbecue and party at their house last night. It was a lot of fun playing games, eating good food, and watching the movie. I am sure that it took a lot of work - you should all thank Abby and her parents if you get the chance and definitely bring her the $3 if you didn't get the chance to last night. For those of you who weren't able to make it, we will do some more things like this as the summer and the season goes on. It was a great opportunity to get to know some of your teammates without running being the focus.

Coming Up:
Monday (12th) - Vita Course at 7:00am.
Tuesday (13th) - The practice that was organized (hill repeats at Nichols Park) has been cancelled - although we will be getting plenty of hills in the next few weeks. There will still be an unofficial practice and we will be meeting at the school at 7:00am for a 5-6 mile easy training run. Come if you want someone to run with.
Thursday (15th) - Meet at the school at 7:00am - we will be going to the Lagoon Trails for some mile repeats. Should be fun.
Monday (19th) - Vita Course at 7:00am - I will hand out the new workout schedule.

High Altitude Camp - For the most part I have the commitments from those of you who have been invited to camp. There are still a few of you that I have not heard from. I need to know by tomorrow (Monday) if you are or are not planning on going. There are a few people I would like to invite early this week if any of you who I have invited are going to be unable to go. I also still need the permission slip and the first $50 from many of you (it was due last Thursday). You will need to turn in the rest of your money ($100 total), a physical form (A or B attached to this email) and the waiver (also attached to this email) by Thursday, July 22nd. On the physical forms - if cross country this coming year will be your first sport at Davis High you will need to have a physical with a doctor and fill out an A form - I would like those prior to camp if at all possible. If you have done any sport at Davis in the past, you just need to fill out a B form with the help of your parents (you do not need to see a doctor). I will also have the forms with me at the Vita Course tomorrow and at the later workouts.
This is also the last chance for any of you who would really like to go and feel like you can handle it, but haven't been invited to let me know - if a spot comes open, I will do my best to get you to camp - but I need to know you want to go.
One last thing - if you have committed to come to camp, it is also a commitment to continue to run these next 2 weeks and continue to send me your mileage. It really upsets me when I invite someone and then they slack off for the weeks before camp - when I could have invited someone in their place who would have shown better commitment and would have kept working hard.

Let me know if you have any questions about camp or about any of the training in general.
The final attachment to this email is a tentative schedule for the cross country season. This will also be posted on www.davisxc.blogspot.com If you have missed any of the prior emails or information, most of it can be found at that web site as well.
Happy Running -
Coach Talley

No comments: