Sunday, June 9, 2013

Summer Update - Week 1

Darts - 
It is one of my favorite times of the year. The Summer Mileage emails are starting to pour in, and it gets me excited for the summer training and for the upcoming cross country season. If you have not yet emailed your week #1 training log, please do so either today or tomorrow. Most of you are including the information I like to see: Your daily run (or runs if you went out twice) with your daily mileage, your week total, and any other details such as time, course, thoughts about the run, etc. Remember that you are required to send me an email for each week of training in the summer. Also keep your goal in mind. I want each of you going for something this summer - set a goal: 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 miles - decide how much you think you can accomplish and then put the effort in each week. 

Running on Vacation: Most of you will be on vacation (or camp, EFY, Youth Conference, or something else) at some point this summer. I completely understand that there will be times when you are unable to run. I would recommend that you do your best on those days/weeks, but don't let it stress you out too much. If all you can do is an ab workout before you get in bed on those days - just do the best you can. Sometimes I think of the vacation weeks as "maintain weeks" - where I do what I can to maintain my work/fitness without necessarily worrying about improving that week. Again - just do your best. 

Cross Training: I will count cross training mileage as part of your summer total. If you bike, swim, do a strenuous hike, or do something else that you feel was a hard workout, let me know in your weekly emails and I will add that to your totals. When you are biking and swimming, it is important to try to keep your heart rate up (above 140 when possible). I will usually count 3-4 miles of biking as 1 mile of running, and 1 mile of swimming as 3 miles of running. (Or you could count 10-12 minutes of strenuous cross training as 1 mile of running). Cross training is only effective if you are still pushing yourself pretty hard. I would recommend cross training for injuries or if you feel that you need a day off of running. 

This Week:
Monday - Meet at the Vita Course at 7:00am. The parking lot is at the top of 200 N. - above Highway 89 (by the rifle range). We will be running anywhere from 4-8 miles depending on your ability level. For those of you who can on Mondays, we will go down to the school after the run and do weights and an ab workout. 
Tuesday & Wednesday - on your own (or in smaller groups).
Thursday - Meet at Davis at 7:00am for a distance run.
Friday - Varsity runners will meet at Davis at 7:00am (by invitation only) - everyone else is on their own. 
Saturday - On your own (or in groups) - If you haven't already, this should be your long run for the week (5-10 miles) depending on your ability. 

High Altitude Camp: Camp will be on July 29-August 2 this year. I have attached the flier to this email that has more information. I will send out the invitation list after the first 4 weeks of training. Remember that girls have to have a minimum of 100 miles at the end of 4 weeks and the boys have to have at least 120 miles to be invited. 

If some of you found that the first week was VERY challenging for you, remember to be patient with yourself and remember that your biggest victory will be to conquer yourself. It is good to seek after things that challenge you and will make you stronger. 

Don't be afraid to come to the TEAM workout at Vita tomorrow - even if you didn't come to any of the runs we did last week. And last of all . . . Don't ever let LAZINESS or sleeping in be your excuse for missing a great run with your TEAM. 

Let me know what I can do to help or what questions I can answer. 
See you in the morning, 
Coach Talley

PS. The updates are also posted at www.davisxc.blogspot.com, but let me know if any of your parents would like to be added to the email list. 

No comments: